Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Bad things, good things, and good people...

Good and bad things happen to good and bad people, all the time. The past few weeks, even months, have come with some really great as well as not so great events. Of course, when the good things happen I happily accept them. However, when the bad things happen my response isn’t always so great.

Yesterday, I was singing “You give and take away…my heart will choose to say blessed be your name.” Two nights ago, I was reading through the book of Job. On Sunday morning my pastor’s wife read from Hebrews where it talks about fixing our eyes on Jesus (taking our eyes from the things that distract). All of these things helped me to realize that it’s all about Him- knowing Him, loving Him, becoming like Him, and finding my identity in Him. The good things that happen to me don’t make me more righteous or more likely to be blessed or loved by Him. The bad things don’t make me less righteous or less likely to be blessed or loved by Him. His finished work on the cross is what my identity is based on- I am His child and can be confident of His love and care no matter what happens!! I can choose to let Him use the various experiences in my life to draw me to Himself and make me even more aware of His life. I am not defined but what happens to me- good or bad. I am who He says I am- His beloved!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am His and He is mine! I am His and He is Mine!!!!

Oh the goodness of our Lord opens our eyes, it melts our hearts and it carries us through the days of our life.

I have this teaching by htis guy named Graham Cooke, he is amazing and it is SO darn good. I will give it to you when I AM LIVING IN SWAZILAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)Sometimes I want to call you Zin, is that alright. It has a certain ring to it you know.

Amanda said...

Thanks! Great blog. Oh to remember that we are so His, and to be confident that no matter what He loves us!